Anonymous Vs. Personally Identifiable Information
Information collected online is often defined as being either anonymous or personally identifiable. Anonymous information is information that cannot be tied to a specific individual. For example, RMA might know that 25,000 people visited their site in a month, but we would not know information such as their names or home addresses. Personally identifiable information is information that tells us specific information about a user. For example, if you provided your name and home address to order a publication, that would be personally identifiable information.
Anonymous Information Gathered Automatically
We automatically collect and store the following anonymous information about your visit:
- The Internet domain (for example, “xcompany.com” if you use a private Internet access account, or “yourschool.edu” if you connect from a university’s domain) and IP address (an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web) from which you access our Web site;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site;
- The pages you visit; and
- If you linked to this site from another Web site, the address of that Web site.
Personally Identifiable Information
In two areas of this Web site we ask for voluntary contact information from consumers:
- In the Contact Us section of the site, you can email us with requests for publications, more information, or questions about the site. You must include contact information in your email if you desire a response. If you feel more comfortable contacting us via U.S. Postal Mail or telephone, information is provided to allow you do so at: http://www.rma.org/contact_us/
- Occasionally we have contests on the site. You must fill out required contact information so you may be notified in the event you win. The information provided will be used for no other purpose other than to fulfill the contest unless you personally opt-in to receive additional information from RMA in the future.
- We collect personal information in the Publications area of the website. The information provided is used to fulfill your publications orders. It will only be shared with our fulfillment center, for the purposes of fulfilling your order.
How We Use Information Collected
We use information collected from this site for three purposes:
- We use the anonymous information gathered automatically by our web server to determine overall site traffic, popularity of areas of the site, what our users are looking for, and where our users are linking to us from.
- If you submit a sweepstakes entry to our web site, we will use the personally identifiable information you provided to contact you in the event you win.
- If you submit personal information for the purposes of ordering publications, we will use the information to fulfill your order and/or contact you in the event that a question should arise.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
We do not solicit information from minors under the age of 13, in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). If children under the age of 13 are interested in participating in one of our online programs, we first require written off-line authorization from a parent or guardian before the participation can begin.
If you feel any information submitted by you is incorrect, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security, Intrusion, Detection Language
For site security purposes, and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, we employ software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Notification of Changes